It’s been a little over a year since I started this blog. Some of you may be wondering how I chose the initial photo book companies that went into the database and how I now choose what books to review. I’ve been making photo books since about 2005 and I started like many of you probably did – going on the internet and searching for options. I happened upon MyPublisher and I was attracted by a couple things – a nice looking website and a buy one get one free deal for new users. A deal is always attractive right? From there, I believe I did a Snapfish book next – Oprah was promoting a free photo book for Snapfish users and we all know how influential the words “Oprah” and “free” are. Then I wanted a square book which MyPublisher didn’t have and I found Blurb.
So, the process has been really organic for me – I’m a real person and I like a deal just as much as you do. I also like shiny, pretty websites as naturally I’m a visual person. Companies do contact me to offer complimentary books to review, and if I see an interesting product and nice looking and easy to navigate site with detailed info, I may try them out.
Even though this site is a ton of work, my enthusiasm and love for photo books has only grown over the years, and I’m happy to say I’m not tired of trying out new companies and writing new posts. Many of you may have a favorite photo book company or are curious about one you haven’t tried before – I get lots of e-mails and comments on my Facebook page every day asking if I’ve used this company or know anything about that company. This is your chance – I’m going to let you vote on which photo book company I’m going to review next (okay, it may not be the very next one as I would need to make a book, but definitely it will go into the pipeline).
I’m going to list some options below and I will allow for “write -in” candidates, but please stick to these guidelines:
1) Please no lobbying by companies or employees of companies – I want this to be coming from our fans!
2) I’m going to discourage putting a “high-end or pro-only company” as a write-in for two reasons: a) It probably would cost me a lot of bucks to order a book and b) I don’t want to review a company if the majority of the readers can’t order from there;
3) Please don’t write in a company that I’ve already made a book with and reviewed before. If you do by accident, no problem – it just won’t count. I want to get NEW companies into the mix;
4) Companies based in other countries are okay too, but if the shipping costs to the U.S. would make it really cost prohibitive, then I reserve the right to decline;
5) One entry per person please!
Overall, I have to reserve my right to override the “winning company” at my sole discretion, but if I do, I will give a detailed reason why and it will be a fair reason.
Okay, I’m writing too much as usual.
Let’s get all votes in by 11:59 PM CST, Thursday, May 12, 2011!
- Creative Memories (free version)
- Our Hubbub (By Jostens)
- Tiny Prints
Vote in the comment area below!