UPDATE: 2/24/13 – My MyPublisher Canvas is in! Check out my review of the canvas’ print quality.
I can’t believe it’s been three years since the birth of Photo Book Girl. I’m glad I launched it before Photo Book Baby arrived, because I don’t think it would have (or could have) happened after. Something about babies just makes time disappear and all my days of selfishly doing as I’ve pleased have also gone *poof*. But the joy I’ve experienced as a mom is immeasurable. My days are filled with laughter, new discoveries (and poopie diapers), but I love every minute of being a mom and my little guy gives me the best excuse to make photo books and all sorts of custom gifts featuring his smiling face!
As has become tradition on PhotoBookGirl.com’s birthday, instead of getting gifts, I like to give gifts! I’ve put together some of my favorite promos and giveaways just for you! I don’t think anyone starts a blog thinking that anyone will be interested in reading his/her ramblings, so let’s just say I’m so glad you’re here and so excited to tell you about some new features on my site.
If you followed my Twelve Day of Custom Photo Gifts Series, Day 5 featured canvas prints and an overview of photo book companies that also offer canvas printing services. As I mentioned in my post, I’ve recently become quite obsessed with making photo canvas prints and to that end, I’ve built up a new part of the site, featuring not only photo book companies that make canvases, but canvas companies in general. This section is still a work in progress, but I could think of no better time than to let you know it’s there.
Here’s some links to the relevant NEW pages:
- Just like the main photo book reviews page, this page shows you an overview of the companies making canvas prints. You can find links to the companies on this page;
- Clicking on a company will take you to the company overview;
- From there you’ll see a link to the company’s current deals as well as any Groupons that are running
- Looking for cheap canvas prints? Check this out! (Cheap as in a good deal – not cheap looking b/t/w!)
- I would be remiss if I didn’t include a page where you can peruse all the latest Groupons for canvas prints (including Living Social canvas deals too)!
Again, this part of my site is a work in progress, but I hope to be adding more canvas reviews soon!
MyPublisher Canvas Review
What better way to kick things off but with a new canvas review! I’ve made lots of photo books with MyPublisher and I’ve always thought their print quality is one of the best in terms of color vibrancy and clarity. I really hope that’s the case with their photo canvas prints too. It’s one of the more recent product additions so there’s not much information out there. Fortunately MyPublisher offered me a complimentary canvas print for purposes of this review.
Unlike the photo book software, MyPublisher’s canvas print software operates online. It’s a pretty quick process to make a canvas print:
- Go to MyPublisher’s canvas page;
- Choose the orientation (landscape or portrait);
- Select a size (10 x 8, 14 x 11, 20 x 16, 36 x 24 or 40 x 30);
- Then click on “Create Your Canvas”
- Upload the photo you wish to use, then drag it onto the canvas workspace;
- If it looks good, sign into your account (or create a new one) to save the print;
- If you approve the preview, you can then go to the order page to complete the process.
Canvas Info & Tips
- The canvas comes in one thickness – 1.5 inches. Some companies also offer 3/4 inch thickness, but MyPublisher’s standard width is 1.5 inches (typically it’s an upgrade for most companies);
- Per the site, the canvases are museum quality and hand stretched;
- Do all your editing outside of the program – there aren’t any editing tools within the program except to zoom, or to change to black and white or sepia (if you don’t have any editing software, check out these free online photo editing tools);
- The software will tell you if the resolution of your image is high enough to print properly – you may have to select a different size or different photo if you see the warning pop up;
- If you plan to do a collage of photos (instead of one large photo), if you’re using photos of people, I recommend that the end size of a person’s head be at least 2 inches wide for clarity. The inherent texture in the canvas may make it harder to get fine details in a person’s face if it’s too small;
- If your photo doesn’t have a lot of open space around it (your cropping of the main subject is tight), then it won’t come out right when selecting certain sizes. Too much of the image will get wrapped on the sides of the canvas print which is not what you want as in the example below.
It would be better if the software allowed for a border to print on the wrapped edges so you have more flexibility in selecting a photo and print size. For example, if I wanted to use this photo in 20 x 16 size, I’d cut off too much of the left and right sides of the photo. Photo Book Baby would be quite distressed if we cut off Mr. Smee! When I switch to 36 x 24 (see below), that size more closely matches the original ratio of the print, so we get the proper cropping here. Don’t worry – you’ll definitely see if there is a problem before you order!
The above images are just samples and not what I actually ordered for my canvas print. I’m eagerly awaiting my canvas to arrive – I didn’t have a chance to place my order in time for this post, but I will update as soon as I receive it.
Now onto the GIVEAWAY!
WHAT YOU CAN WIN
Three (3) PhotoBookGirl readers will each receive a $100.00 credit to MyPublisher!
That’s a total of $300.00 in prizes! You can use it for anything on MyPublisher’s site (except for gift cards). Canvas prints, photo books, calendars and cutsom cards! Your choice!
Click here if you’re interested in seeing my MyPublisher photo book reviews including overviews of the lay flat option, super gloss paper and photo finish cover (scroll down to “MyPublisher Reviews from the Blog” for a complete list of all of MyPublisher articles).
You have 6 possible ways to enter, but you must do the REQUIRED ENTRY for the others to count. For EACH entry, you have to COMMENT ON THIS POST below with a separate comment for EACH entry, telling me what type of entry you did.
- Check out MyPublisher’s products and come back here to comment below – IF YOU WON, WHAT WOULD YOU MAKE?
- Subscribe to my newsletter (look for light blue box at top right) AND tell me in the comment below that you subscribed and the name you subscribed under (first name is fine). If you already subscribe to my newsletter, tell me in your comment and give me your name. (Please remember for it to count, you must confirm the subscription. Sorry RSS or Google Reader doesn’t count);
- “Like” me on Facebook (if you are already a fan, or become a new fan, tell me your Facebook name in the comment form);
- “Like” MyPublisher on Facebook (if you are already a fan, or become a fan, tell me your Facebook name in the comment form);
- Give your review of any photo book/canvas company you’ve tried on the company’s main reviews page. (Click here to give a canvas print review). Click on the “Read Review” button. You’ll see a place to add your review at the bottom of each company’s page. Let me know which company you commented on by telling me in a comment in this post below. (Limit to two (2) entries using this method. Reviews given prior to the start of this Giveaway don’t count – they must be new ones please!);
- Blog about this giveaway on your blog. Be sure to comment on this post with a link to your blog post (Counts as 3 entries!)
Make sure to do the REQUIRED ENTRY!
This giveaway is open to anyone 18 or older. No country restrictions (so it’s international but please check if MyPublisher ships to your country if you have any doubts). Void where prohibited. Void in Quebec. Entries must be received by
Sunday, February 24, 2013, Monday, February 25, 2013, at 11:59pm CT and any entries not in accordance with the rules will be disqualified at our sole discretion and at the discretion of the sponsor. Winning entries will be chosen using Random.org. After compiling the results, I will announce the winners thereafter and will email the winners. The winners will have 48 hours to respond or I will redraw another entry. Canadian winners may be asked to answer a skill question to be eligible, to comply with Canadian laws. Winners will be issued a code for the appropriate value. The gift certificate code will not expire. Cannot be combined with other promotions. May be used towards shipping costs. Shipping varies by location – see MyPublisher site for details. Disclosure: I am an affiliate of the company. If you click on a link to MyPublisher’s site and make a purchase, I may receive a referral fee from the company. Regardless of affiliation my opinions are always my own.
Exclusive Photo Book Girl MyPublisher Coupon Code – Everyone Wins!
Okay, don’t take me literally that everyone wins – what I mean is I’ve secured an awesome deal for everyone that is valid now! One of my favorite promos that MyPublisher runs every now and then (but not frequently) is the FREE EXTRA PAGES deal.
If you’ve printed with MyPublisher before, you know that this is probably the best deal they offer if you’re wanting to make a large book. It’s about 70% off!
$35 for a Classic Photo Book (with up to 100 pages!)
$70 for a Deluxe Photo Book (with up to 100 pages!)
Coupon Code: PHOTOBOOKGIRLPAGES
3/1/2013 EXTENDED! 4/30/2013 (11:59pm PST)
This promotion entitles select MyPublisher users to receive a $35 classic photo book including free extra pages and photo finish or book jacket cover option ($115.19 value) OR a $70 deluxe photo book with free extra pages and photo finish or book jacket cover ($229.19 value). Other paper, printing and cover options, slipcases, and any additional pages may be added to the order at full retail price. This offer does not apply to any other photo books, cards, calendars, scrapbook pages, canvas prints, gift certificates, or any other product.
BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE!