All the photo book news that’s fit to print! (please credit original motto to the New York Times!)
This is a combination photo book deals and update post – some new companies to tell you about, new deals and new features from the companies you love, plus I also have my very own coupon code to share with you!
Little did I know what I was getting myself into when starting this blog. New companies and new things happening all the time, and so far, I’m still excited about blogging about it! My little database is ripe for some new additions huh?
Also, a huge thank you to all the readers and Facebook fans who have really given me lots of great feedback and suggestions. When I’m writing these posts (which most times takes me a really long time to do – maybe because I write too much ha ha…) I wonder if folks are interested in reading what I have to say! It’s really encouraging to hear from you and interact with everyone and I appreciate it.
Now for the latest exciting news and deals!
Viovio has provided Photobookgirl.com readers with their very own coupon code for FREE SHIPPING on all Viovio orders! My very first Photobookgirl promo code! Some quick info on Viovio:
- Viovio offers all the photo book orientations – landscape, square and portrait in varying ratios to fit your project;
- They offer 12 different sizes of photo books in 32 different book styles at last count;
- They are one of the few photo book companies that takes PDF files for upload and also caters to those who use Adobe InDesign and other external design programs;
- You can also pay a small fee to download designs and templates created by other Viovio users and designers;
- You can share and sell your creation online through Viovio;
- Viovio’s books are pretty reasonably priced when doing a quick comparison of book cost;
- Works on both Mac and PC
Check out my Viovio software overview.
I haven’t had the chance to try them out yet, but if you have please share your thoughts below!
Coupon Code: PHOTOBOOKGIRL1
Deal Expires: 12/31/2010
30% off the new 12 x 12 photo book offering!
Scrapblog is a new company that I have not yet had the chance to check out yet, but they wanted Photobookgirl readers to know about the new 12×12 photo book size they’ve just launched. The book is priced at $54.99, but is being offered at 30% off currently. I don’t have information on an expiration date for this offer, but I’ll post it if I find out. The deal expires 11/8/2010. B/t/w Scrapblog also gives you the ability to print 12 x 12 pages from home at $4.00 a page – but make sure your home printer can accomodate that size!
Anyone try Scrapblog before? Please comment below!
AdoramaPix just announced some new software updates to their PixPublisher software. I think AdoramaPix’s book design software is one of the best I’ve tried, with instant two page spreads, precise aligning with X/Y coordinate information and the ability to duplicate whole spreads and books to save time. They didn’t have an alignment tool before, but now they do among other new features. Here’s a summary of some of the updates:
- Snap to elements – now you can easily align the different photo boxes with each other using this tool. When you move it, it will automatically snap into position. It also works when resizing a box. The default is set to snap, but you can turn that feature off if you want;
- Multi-select – you can select multiple items to move them all at once by holding down the “Ctrl” or “Shift” key while you click on an element. There is also a hand with a + sign over it that will do the same thing. Useful if you want to shift the entire spread a bit. (I do this a lot b/t/w/!) Or if you change your mind and want to add a different border to all the elements on the page. This makes it quick to try out different looks without having to redo each item on the page one-by-one;
- New import options – Smugbug, Photobucket and Phanfare users now have any easy way to import photos (in addition to Flickr and Picasa) into AdoramaPix;
- AdoramaPix now supports EXIF data so it can sort by the date the photo was taken rather than the date you uploaded it (EXIF is the data that is stored with your digital image including date taken, aperture setting, camera type etc., favored by the pros)
- There’s a few other additions as well – these all sound like great improvements to me – the more I can do within the program the better!
B/t/w there’s a 25% off sale on AdoramaPix 8 x 10 landscape books (in our database that would be a 10 x 8 (w x h) through 10/26/2010 that I wrote about in an earlier deals post. You can find the details there.
If you want to see what an AdoramaPix book looks like, my DIY Wedding Photo Book made with AdoramaPix can be found here.
For those of you who may be working on your FREE Picaboo photo book (for NEW users only through 10/25), or itching to use your Picaboo Groupon (one is available today through Sunday 10/24!) you may want to check out two new options that Picaboo is now offering. These have just been released and were not available at the time I did my Picaboo Reviews.
- Two page spread – this coveted feature is now available on Picaboo. Before, if you wanted to do this, you had to manually cut your photo in two in an external program and then upload each half, but not anymore – it’s one-touch!
- Lay Flat – the lay flat option that used to be available only in Picaboo’s higher end books such as the Madison, is now available at a flat rate of $15.00 regardless of pages. You add this option at check out by clicking a box – there’s no additional work that has to be done. Obviously the pairing of the two page spread and the lay flat option is a no brainer. Since this is an add-on option, you can reorder book you’ve already made in a lay flat version. I’m a sucker for lay flat books!
For the latest Picaboo deals, including a new 50% off coupon code (with no order minimum as far as I can tell) – check my recent deals post on Picaboo!
A brand NEW photo book site for consumers has a familiar name behind it. Some of you, especially pro photographers may be familiar with DigiLabs, and now they’ve just launched a site for consumers offering some very nice high end products. You may have read my earlier post about lay flat photo books and my journey through making my own wedding photo album. At that time MyPhotoCreations wasn’t around. In checking out their site, they have a nice selection of upgraded books that are really catching my eye.
I’ve had a lot of readers lately contacting me about flush mount albums (I bet cause the wedding season is winding down!) and unfortunately I haven’t made one before (but who knows…). Starting at $249.00 for 20 pages is quite a chunk of change if you’re comparing them to a regular photo book, but you can’t compare the two because flush mount albums consists of super thick cardboard-like pages that lay flat. This is a special occasion album, so you’re probably not going to put just any photos in them, but we’re talking wedding, anniversary, graduation, baby christening etc…
Other options include the Ashbury photo book which starts at $79.99 for a 20-page album, also lay flat, printed on 110 pound cover paper (noted as twice as thick as the normal paper they offer).
Their line of photo books starts at $29.99, so there is a whole range of options to choose from. Calendars, cards, custom canvas prints and enlargements are also in the product offerings.
I hope to be checking them out soon and provide a review! If you have any feedback on them, post it below!
For those who may want to leave the designing to someone else, Smilebooks recently launched a Photo Book Design Service (though I think this service has been available for some time now, I believe this is a new interface). For a little under $1.00 per page, you can have one of Smilebooks’ professional designers to design your book for you. For a limited time, Smilebooks is letting users try this design service, completely FREE of charge (well, you do have to pay for the book – don’t get greedy folks! ha ha…)
My control-freak self, may not know how to best utilize this program, but I have been offered a free book so I can try it out for you. Hmmm…I don’t know which photos to choose for this book! It will be really interesting for me to hand over a set of photos and see what happens, but I’ll check it out and let you know. They have the lay flat option (is that the fun word for today or what?) and print on real photo paper. For those who want to give it a try, check it out since it’s free for now!
Coupon Code: FALLDS100
Deal Expires: 11/15/2010